Thursday, July 14, 2011

New Love

 I feel like a teenager again! For so long I dreamed of the day when I would buy a pair of Brooks running shoes, and back in January I bought my first pair. I was in love! It was everything I had hoped it would be! So many firsts happened in these shoes - my first 10k! my first 5 mile run! my first 6 mile run! my first 7 mile run! my first I ran so hard I vomited run! Then, something changed. The bouncy, springy feeling is gone and my sole is worn down; there was no more denying that we needed to go our separate ways.

I didn't even try another pair of Brooks on at the store! In fact, I barely even glanced their way. I gave the Aasics another shot, but we are just not meant for each other. The Nikes I tried were ok, and would probably do just fine. But! But! When I slipped my foot into the Mizunos, I knew this time I was really in love!
                                                           
That my friends is the Mizuno Wave Inspire 7 and even when my Brooks were new they did not feel as good as the Inspires. They use the 'SmoothRide Engineering', which actually seems to make a difference in how my foot strikes and then kicks off again. Mizuno explains their SmoothRide Engineering like this:


Smoothride begins working the moment your foot touches the ground. Flex Grooves in the heel promote natural movement from the back of your foot to the front, initiating that rocking-chair motion. Our AP+ Midsole gives the shoe a bouncier feel. And Flex Grooves and Flex Controllers in the forefoot work together to smoothly continue the roll forward to give your foot a more solid platform at toe-off. It all adds up to a more fluid, enjoyable run, every time you head out.
  • Smooth, rocking motion throughout your stride
  • Increased flexibility
  • More power at toe-off

It seriously felt as if there was a supportive cushion between my feet and the ground. I ran in them on Tuesday and can't wait to try them out again. I won't be able to do my distance this weekend, so I will either do it tonight or tomorrow night, and am looking forward to how the new shoes feel for 8 miles!

What shoes are you loving these days?
How soon is too soon before a race to change shoes?

9 comments:

  1. We are shoe twins!!! I am in love with the mizuno inspire!! And have worn a billion generations of them. If I could marry the inspire, I would :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of my Brooks loving heart just died =(

    Haha, just kidding! Different shoes for different feet! Glad you found a pair that works well for you!

    That being said, I mainly run in Brooks Adrenaline, but also put on some New Balance every 2-3 runs.

    Do you run exclusively in one pair of shoes, or do you oscillate between two? Though many runners would recommend the second, after about 20-25 miles I'd say a pair of shoes is broken in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a New Balance fan...they've always fit my feet well. However I'm thinking hard about trying out the Vibram Five-Fingers, so if/when that happens, I'll let you know what I think of them! I think they'd be fun for running trails, and there are a lot of trails around here (bonus for trails is no semi trucks whizzing past!)

    I'd also say 20-25 miles, but it also depends on the distance of your race. I bought my shoes two weeks before my half marathon, and probably put in a good 40 miles on them before my race. But if you're running a longer distance, I would put in a bit more time on them, just to make sure your body really has broken them in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to un in NB exclusively, mainly because I could find my size (I'm a narrow 12 for running shoes).
    I don't normally switch back and forth, but with longer miles coming up it might be a good idea to give that a try.
    I would love to hear a review from you Maggie. I am becoming more and more interested in the barefoot running craze! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info on these shoes, I may have to give them a try, I have been wearing Brooks Adrenaline as well. I think I have been pretty lucky because I have had no problems with my shoes, but I always wonder if there are "better" shoes out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Merrell Pace Gloves! I've never had Merrell running shoes but I have always worn their hiking boots...these are minimalist shoes but I LOVE THEM!!! Congrats on your new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a love/hate relationship with shoes. I've tried a million different kinds. Apparently I haven't found my glass slipper yet - but dang I hope I do sometime soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wells - have you gone to a running store and been fitted? The running store I went to actually put me on the machine where they tell you which way you lean and were you put your weight etc. It's a nifty tool, and then they actually watch you run annnnnd even record it so they can show you what they see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather - I love my slip on, winter Merrell's and always check sale racks for any kind of Merrells because they are so great. I'll keep minimalist shoes in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete