Monday, April 30, 2012

Houston? It's Time for a Bike Ride

We have a small problem. I tried to run last night, but my foot hurt so bad I cut it short and walked home. There is the pain on the underside of my heel that I typically only feel in the morning. There is the newer pain on the outside of my foot. There is the newest pain on the top of my foot, on the fleshy part just below my 2nd and 3rd toes. The newer pain was bugging me, but the newest pain kept me from being able to put my foot all the way down. Walking hurt too. I iced it when I got home and lamented on what it might be and the best way to treat it - ice, ibuprofen and rest.

I'm going to try riding my bike because that motion doesn't cause the same movement in my foot as walking. It's not easy to convert running miles to biking miles. From what I gather there are two ways to think about this equation:

1. Heart rate monitor: A hear rate monitor is always the best way to gauge intensity of a workout. I'll have to take another look for my heart rate monitor strap because that's the best way to make sure I am expending the same effort for a 45 minute bike ride as I would for a 3 mile run.

2. Consider calories burned: Since I haven't been using my heart rate monitor when I run, gauging the amount of calories I am burning is another way to compare. I haven't quire been counting my calories for a run, but I guess I am burning about 250 calories (I always low-ball my estimates for calories burned and highball my estimates for calories consumed). Plugging in different times and speeds on My Food Diary indicates that biking for 'Under 10 mph' for 40 minutes burns 232 calories. I try to keep it between 8-9 mph when I use the 'Under 10 mph' speed range. There must be a difference between calories burned at 2 mph and calories burned at 9 mph because the remaining speeds you can chose only vary by 2 or 3 mph (0-10 mph, 10-11.9 mph, 12-13.9 mph, 14-15.9 mph, 16-19 mph).

My decision? Try a bike ride around the neighborhood to make sure it doesn't hurt and then hit the gym tomorrow morning for a spinning class.

No comments:

Post a Comment