Monday, March 5, 2012

The Scoop

I am so excited to have a race in the calendar, especially the Princess 1/2! I was nervous at first that 11 months is too long for a training program, but then I thought of a great program:

Mile a Month 

It's quite simple, I spend an entire month focused on one distance. Beginning with this month, I will focus on 2 miles so my distance runs will always be 2 miles. I am going to stick to 4 days a week of running, with at least one of those focused on distance and the remaining on interval (speed, speed and hills etc) work. Periodically I will check in to see what my pace is, with hopes of seeing marked improvement. April will be the same, but focused on 3 miles, and so on. 

Yesterday was a run day, which broke down to this:

20 minutes of walking at 3.5mph
7 minutes of running at 4.0mph
12 minutes of running at 4.5mph
6 minutes of running at 5.0mph

I would run for 1 minute at 5.0mph then walk for 1 minute at 3.5mph and run for 2 minutes at 4.5mph. It felt great and it's so nice to be back on a running plan! 

What plans do you use? Do you find if you give yourself too much time for training it makes the process less successful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment